A number of significant questions arise with the announced killing of Osama bin-Laden. Here are some that members of the Green Party are asking:
1) Why would the U.S. government order the summary execution of an unarmed and frail individual ? even an alleged terrorist, criminal, and former CIA “asset” like bin-Laden?
2) Why would they dump the body ? and thus the proof of his identity and wounds — into the ocean, preventing an autopsy? Is there something they are trying to hide?
3) Why would the rulers of the most powerful country on the face of the earth be afraid to capture and arrest Osama bin-Laden and put him on trial, as was done with the World War 2 Nazi Adolf Eichmann?
4) Why was bin-Laden not captured and at least questioned about further terrorist plans if he was the mastermind, as charged?
5) Why did the President not re-visit former President G.W. Bush’s rejection of the offer of the Taliban to turn bin-Laden over to the U.S. for prosecution following the 9/11 attacks?
6) Who was responsible for initial reports released to the media and the public that bin-Laden was armed and that he was using his wife as a human shield, when neither of those were true?
7) When will President Obama allow the questions by the 9/11 families to finally be heard, recorded, and answered? When will he order a criminal investigation of the events of 9/11?
8) When will the President order home the troops from Afghanistan, Iraq, and Libya and provide them with the medical support they need, but which has been to a large extent cut out of the budget?
Mitchel Cohen is an organizer with the Brooklyn Greens / Green Party, and is currently Chair of the WBAI radio (99.5 FM) Local Station Board*. (*For ID purposes only)