I am writing a book that looks at Ralph Nader’s bid for the Presidency and I need 5 minutes of your time–if you intend to or are likely to vote for him. I have talked to a lot of people about this, and while many stand against him, some favor his run while saying they won’t vote for him. Others say they are pretty sure or very interested in voting for him. I want to find out, among those already likely to vote for him, why they think this is a good idea or could be a good idea.
Below is a list of 6 standard arguments against his run. I don’t write them to persuade you but I want to know what makes a Ralph voter tick–what are your answers to the ways Democrats and many progressives see this issue.
This is not a scientific survey. This has not been previously reviewed by anyone at the Nader campaign.
Please respond to email@example.com
I am counting on those who don’t qualify (those who intend at this point to vote for someone else) not to gum up my inbox with answers. Thanks. To fill out the survey you don’t have to have your mind made up, just be clearly leaning in that direction. You have to be eligible to vote in the U.S.
Some personal data can help clarify who the Nader voters are (we will keep this confidential and you don’t have to give name or address). All questions are optional–answer any you wish leaving others blank. But more is better.
1. What state do you live in?
2. As of this date, do you consider yourself to be in a swing state?
3. What is your gender?
4. What ethnic background do you identify as?
5. How old are you?
6. Did you vote for Nader in 2000?
7. Are you leaning toward voting for Ralph?
Six reasons not to vote Nader–what are your responses? (I ask loaded questions in hopes of inciting your best answers.)
1. Only one of two people will become president, Kerry or Bush. Why waste time voting (or working) for someone else?
2. One person said “I will vote for Kerry if he is just 1 degree to the left of Bush. Given what is at stake, why won’t you?”
3. If you agree that Getting Bush out is the top priority, why focus on any other candidate besides Kerry?
4. Nader could be doing something more useful, and touring the country, but not as a candidate. Do you agree>
5. Since getting Bush out is priority 1, why can’t you think strategically?
6. Don’t you realize how awful and dangerous 4 more years of Bush would be?
And a positive question:
7. What is the most important reason you are likely to vote for Nader?
By answering these 7 questions you get the chance to help the world understand what it is having trouble understanding. And maybe convince some readers.
Thanks. I won’t be able to respond to the questionnaires but I value your answers. Please respond before April 1, the cut off date. Please don’t respond later than April 1.
Feel free to forward to other like-minded Nader backers. I’m looking for as many responses from Nader supporters as possible.
Thanks for your time.
respond to firstname.lastname@example.org