Exclusively in the new print issue of CounterPunch
PARIS, THE NEW NORMAL?
— Diana Johnstone files an in-depth report from Paris on the political reaction to the Charlie Hebdo shootings; The Treachery of the Black Political Class: Margaret Kimberley charts the rise and fall of the Congressional Black Caucus; The New Great Game: Pepe Escobar assays the game-changing new alliance between Russia and Turkey; Will the Frackers Go Bust? Joshua Frank reports on how the collapse of global oil prices might spell the end of the fracking frenzy in the Bakken Shale; The Future of the Giraffe: Ecologist Monica Bond reports from Tanzania on the frantic efforts to save one of the world’s most iconic species. Plus: Jeffrey St. Clair on Satire in the Service of Power; Chris Floyd on the Age of Terrorism and Absurdity; Mike Whitney on the Drop Dead Fed; John Wight on the rampant racism of Clint Eastwood’s “American Sniper;” John Walsh on Hillary Clinton and Lee Ballinger on the Gift of Anger.
Weekend Edition October 29-31, 2005
What I'm Listening to This Week
1. Wayne Shorter Beyond the Sound Barrier (Verve/2005)
2. David Vest — Serve Me Right to Shuffle (Trillium Records/2005)
3. Kinky Friedman & Billy Joe Shaver — Live from Down Under (Sphincter Records / 2002)
4. Ornette Coleman & Pat Methany — Song X: Remastered (Nonesuch/2005)
5. Kathleen Edwards — Back to Me (Zoe Records/2005)
6. Otis Taylor — Below the Fold (Telarc/2005)
7. Charlie Haden & the Liberation Music Orchestra — Not in Our Name (Verve/2005)
8. Dixie Cups — Complete Red Bird Recordings (Varese Records / 2002)
9. Professor Longhair — Crawfish Fiesta (Alligator / 1990)
10. Charlie Poole — You Ain’t Talkin’ to Me (Sony / 2005)